Neapolitan Pizza Dough Recipe
This is a labor of love but worth it.
- 4 cups of 00 flour (it’s available at most markets and Amazon. All-purpose flour can be substituted, but it’s worth getting the 00)
- 1 1/2 cup of room temp water
- 2 tsp of kosher salt
- 2 tsp of instant yeast
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast in a big bowl
- Add the water one cup at a time and mix the flour and water with your hands until the flour and water are completely combined. There should be no flour left in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and leave to rise on your counter for 10 hours.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, place it on a floured surface, and cut into 4 even pieces.
- Place each dough into a bowl large enough for it to double in size, and cover tightly with plastic wrap, or place each dough into a gallon-size zip bag.
- Into the fridge for 2 days/48 hours. If you have patience, leave them in the fridge for 4 days.
- Remove the dough and form into balls.
- Lightly coat each bowl in olive oil and place the dough ball in the bowl. Roll it to lightly coat the top. Cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter for 2 hours.
- Make the pizza!
Neapolitan pizza is made with just a couple of simple ingredients. Use crushed San Marzano tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella. If you can’t find the buffalo mozz, use a good quality whole mozzarella that you tear apart. Don’t use pre-shredded. Use a pizza stone heated for 1 hour in your oven at the highest temperature, then make the pizza.
Sign up to get authentic recipes and news from MamaMancini's!