Quite possibly the best on the Planet. I serve mine with a homemade tagliatelle.
- 4-tbs butter
- 2-tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-cup diced pancetta
- 1-cup minced onion
- 1-cup of whole milk
- 1/2-cup minced carrot
- 1/2-cup minced celery
- 4-garlic cloves minced
- 1-lb ground beef
- 1-cup dry red wine
- 4-cups of crushed plum tomatoes
- 2-bay leaves
- 1-tsp Salt
- 1/2-tsp black cracked pepper
- 1-cup of beef stock
- pinch of nutmeg
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on a medium heat then add the pancetta and cook until the fat is rendered
- Add the butter, onion, garlic, carrot, celery and sauté for 5 min on medium heat
- Add the beef, salt, pepper and sauté while breaking it up with a wooden spoon, sauté just until the beef is lightly browned.
- Add the wine and scrape all the browned bits off the bottom of the pot, allow the wine to reduce in half
- Put the heat to low, add the milk and simmer for a 5 minutes stirring the whole time.
- Add the bay leaves and tomatoes, pinch of nutmeg, reduce the heat to a low simmer
- Simmer on a very low heat partially covered for 2-hours. Stir along the way
- Remove the lid the last 30 min of cooking
- Remove the bay leaf before serving
Always add the bolognese to a skillet and toss on a medium heat with your cooked pasta to coat. Serve with some grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, fresh grated of course and more bolognese on top. Incredible!