I love tomatoes anyway I can get them and this time of the year when they are out of season I buy the Hothouse ones, and stuff them. Delicious.
- 1-lb of ground beef
- 1/2-cup of white rice prepared
- 1/2-cup chopped onion
- 1-cup grated Romano cheese
- 2-garlic cloves minced
- 2-cups tomato sauce
- 1-tsp of salt
- 1/2-tsp black pepper
- 1/2-tsp dry basil
- 1/2-tsp dry oregano
- 2-tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Tomatoes top cut off and hollowed out. Add the juice and pulp to the sauce
Making the Stuffing
- Saute the meat in a skillet till browned, drain the grease and place meat aside
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet and saute the onion and garlic for 2 minutes
- Add the meat back to the skillet with the sauce, salt, pepper, basil, oregano and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the cooked rice and combine everything together and simmer for 5 minutes
- Allow this to cool then mix in the cheese
Making and stuffing the tomatoes
- Fill the tomatoes with the filling
- Place in a baking dish
- Cover with tin foil. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
- Let them rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
I serve mine with some tomato sauce on the side. So good, so easy. I hope you love them!
Easy version with MamaMancini’s Meatballs
Stuffed tomatoes in minutes not hours.
- Start with our Mama Mancini’s Meatballs in sauce and simply crush the meatball in the sauce.
- Add 1-cup of cooked rice for each 16oz pack of meatballs and fold the rice into the meatballs and sauce.
- Slice the top off the tomatoes and using a spoon scoop out the inside and add that goodness to the stuffing mix.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.