Bolognese Sauce, it’s a very very special sauce. Perfect for your Holiday first course.
- 3-tbs butter
- 4-tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-lb of pancetta diced really fine
- 1-cup minced onion
- 1-cup of whole milk
- 1-cup minced carrot
- 1-cup minced celery
- 6-garlic cloves sliced
- 1-lb ground beef
- 1-lb ground pork
- 1-cup dry red wine
- 1-28 can whole Italian plum crushed by hand
- 1-cup chicken stock
- 2-bay leaves
- Salt n Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on a medium heat then add the pancetta and cook until the fat has rendered.
- Add the butter, onion, garlic, carrot, celery and sauté for 5-minutes.
- Raise the heat and add the beef, pork, a tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, brown the meat while breaking it up with a heavy spoon.
- Add the wine and scrape all the browned bits off the bottom and side of the pot, this is a very important step as there is a lot of flavor there, allow the wine to reduce in half .
- Next step is to add the milk and simmer, stir for a few minutes until it reduces by about half.
- Add the bay leaves, tomatoes with all the juice, chicken stock, tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Raise the heat and bring this to a boil, stir everything together.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer on a very low heat for one hour with the lid 3/4 of the way on, stir along the way.
- Remove the lid and continue to cook for 30 min on a low heat, stirring along the way.
- Remove the bay leaves.