Hearty, Thick, Simple to Make Chicken Soup
I made a stop at my Local Whole Foods Market (which I do pretty much every day). Chicken drumsticks were on sale for .99 lb so I decided to make a hearty, thick chicken soup. I served four people a large serving each and even have some leftovers. I bought a pack that had 6 chicken legs, a carrot, onion, can of white beans, some wild rice from the bulk section, chicken stock (to make this a quick soup), garlic and a can of diced tomatoes.
Total cost of the ingredients ONLY $9.97
You gotta make is soup!
You will need
- 1 cup Carrot chopped
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 1- Can of Cannellini beans
- Scoop of Wild rice about 1/4 cup
- 1-qt Chicken stock
- 6 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2- cups of water
- 1-tbs olive oil
- In a soup pot heat the oil and brown the drumsticks for 5 minutes.
- Now add the stock, water, 1/4 cup carrot, 1/4 cup onion and 2 garlic cloves, 1-tsp salt and pepper, bring this to a boil and reduce heat to a very low simmer and cover. After 30 minutes remove the chicken to a plate to cool.
- Add the rice to the pot bring to a low boil and cover. After 30 minutes add the balance of the carrots, onion, garlic the tomatoes and the juice and the beans. Taste for salt and pepper and add if needed. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the meat from from the drumsticks and add back to the soup and stir. Taste to be sure the rice is done. The rice and the beans are going to make this very thick. If you want a soup that is not so thick you can add more stock at the end.